REVIEW: "THE KYLIE + KENDALL SHOW"

Jenner girls take topshop.mov


I was super excited when I heard that a feature interview on Kendall and Kylie was the main story in this week's issue of the Sunday Times Style magazine. That was until I read the article by Ruby Warrington. It was so pessimistic, and made no attempt to promote the infamous American teens, nor promote their Topshop Collection.

I was expecting some good gossip, not accounts of how Kylie was still texting (she's 17 and mega famous, come on). Perhaps I am forgetting that the article is written for people older than me; people who have no idea who the girls are, whereas I am one of those "50m followers". Yes, they have perhaps the largest social media following but explain a little more on how it affects them maybe. Discuss how they have grown up on a television show, in the media spotlight.

I was very disappointed to find next to nothing about their Topshop line other than: "I'm here to see their new collection, Kendall + Kylie, a line of breezy, Californian-inspired separates designed by the sisters". Even I could have written that.

It is as if the story was written without any thought. I do not understand how the author could have written it without preparing decent questions and using the topic to extend information on Kendall's modelling career in the future, and whether Kylie was pursuing anything like the rumours she is making a song with Kanye West.

The constant referral to Kylie's TEMPORARY lip enhancements was also rather tedious. I found it rather disrespectful how it was implied that the girls shouldn't look up to their female family members as role models. Excuse me, who are you to judge?

As a professional journalist with a First Class honours BA in Fashion Promotion (that's right I said promotion) from the London College of Fashion, Ruby would have been the ideal candidate to write such article. Even more so when I discovered her fashion blog which I super love. I therefore do not know quite what happened with the article. Perhaps a bout of jealousy? I'm not one to question.

I truly believe that anyone could have written a better, more positive article on the pair without meeting and interviewing them and with no professional journalism experience whatsoever. The disappointment is real.

Oh, and that question in the headline on the photo is never even answered. Big thumbs up Warrington.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment