Ain't Goin' Nowhere

We're studying the topic of Media in French at the moment and it keeps coming up that newspapers and magazines are in decline. But are they?

I'm a sucker for print versions. If I'm going to read a paper its going to be on paper otherwise, I see no point. As soon as its on the Internet, it's not longer a "newspaper article", it's just another article floating about on the worldwide web.

I'm exactly the same with magazines. Nothing makes my heart beat faster than the magazine aisle of a supermarket, searching for Vogue and ELLE (especially if they're on sale or have a free gift). I mean, magazines are more important than crisps. There is something so delectable in turning the glossy pages of a pricey magazine, unearthing all the upperclass culture you're never going to attain.  I read articles online too of course; I love the news section on Chanel's website, and the Topshop edits, and I read countless blogs (I even have a blog myself(!!)). But if I couldn't hold a magazine in my hand, I think tears would be pouring our of my eye ducts. To me, a magazine is a form of craftsmanship. Effort has gone into it. Love has gone into it. Talent has gone into it.

The press can't just vanish, it's part of a society obsessed with media in all its forms. Print versions of everything ALL THE WAY.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment