"There's no one else like you."

AT sixth form we have been given the opportunity to investigate something that interests us for our EPQs (Extended Project Qualification).
I am constantly in fashion heaven, as one might have imagined if you have read my blog. Therefore, for my EPQ I want to look into the top fashion house in the world, Chanel. I particularly want to look into the development of the brand since the death of founder, Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel.
In order to do this I am going to have to have a library of fashion books. I recently, after visiting the University of Leeds' open day, purchased a biography on Coco Chanel. My mum was rater persistent that it was far too early to be purchasing anything on the lines of my vague EPQ idea. However, it was my money I spent, and I left the university bookshop with my Coco Chanel biography in hand.
I have many a time watched the film Coco Before Chanel, which deals with Gabrielle Chanel's life as a young girl, an orphan along with her younger sister. They perform in big, flouncy dresses, Gabrielle often restitching the dresses and changing their fit for her and her sister. However, Chanel soon tires of that life, and the girls run from the music hall, dresses in hand. Gabrielle at one point in the film attempts to make it as a singer, but unfortunately does not. Her sister soon marries a wealthy man and she is transported into a world of an upper class nature, leaving her older sister behind.
Gabrielle finds herself being in close contact with a regular from a local men's club almost or maybe its a bar, the French don't distinguish the difference clearly. Knowing the charismatic Baron Balsan gives her an entry into French high society, and a chance to develop her gift for designing increasingly popular hats. She stays in this mans large house out in the country and hides aways almost when his guests come round for lavish gatherings. He appears to care for Coco very dearly and (I think) gives her the title of Coco.
She meets an Englishman at one of his many parties, named Boy, I believe. They fall in love but he has a wife and children back home in England. Boy believes in Coco's talent making hats and she refuses to follow the whims of fashion. He says to Coco, "There's no one else like you." Unfortunately, Boy dies not long after in a car accident. Coco, stricken with grief, is distraught as expected. But Coco still has the business as a reminder of their love.

I love everything about French fashion. Its much more than Breton striped jumpers, a red polka dot neck scarf and brown brogues. Their simplistic, effortless style is laiden with chicness.

I have spent the morning watching Chanel catwalks, in particular the Cruise2014/15 show in Dubai. There are many looks that I really love. Embellished Chanel jackets and bejewlled dresses adorned the models with big curly hair and gold eye shadow in the corners of the eye. French glamour brought to Dubai is the best way to describe this show. Layering was made a key feature of the outfits, particularly in camel and jewel tones. Florals made it into the cruise collection also, some ditsy, some retro and more block patterns. I love the turn by Lagerfeld to a more modern Chanel collection, still with the class and glamour which Chanel is known for.

These are the looks that I particularly liked:





Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment